The IEEE Council on RFID (CRFID) is excited to announce their fourth annual Educational Mega-Challenge. This challenge, which is geared towards addressing real-world problems, has been designed to excite and engage the interest of undergraduate students, graduate students, and their advisors. This year we are embracing the continued excitement and progress surrounding the Internet of Things (IoT) and RFID’s ties with IoT.
The submitting team must:
- Be an accredited, degree-program educational institution
- Have at least one IEEE member and one student member
- Include RAIN RFID as a component of the solution.
Teams are asked to
prepare as if responding to a request for proposal (RFP).
• Choose a technical, social or economic problem or issue that can be addressed via a RAIN RFID-based IoT solution (e.g., traffic flow, mass transit, infrastructure support, revenue collections, parks management, etc.)
• Put together a cross-functional team of student engineers to solve the problem. There is no specific restriction on which technologies (BLE, UWB, NFC, sensing, mobile robotics, machine vision, etc.) are included so long as RAIN RFID is included.
• Solutions can be totally custom or can integrate existing hardware/software components. Bonus points (during judging) will be given to submissions that incorporate products from the sponsors.
• Write-up your solution and create a three-minute video
• Email your solution to firstname.lastname@example.org by 22:00 UTC on February 7, 2020.
• Finalists will be asked to submit a poster for inclusion with the other IEEE student posters that are included on the RFID Journal Live Exhibit floor.
• A single presenter from each finalist team will be given three minutes to present RFID Journal Live in the Presentation Theater for final judging and selection of the winner on Wednesday Apr 29.
The top three submissions will be invited to IEEE RFID 2020 & RFID Journal Live! to present their solutions for selection of the overall winner.
- Identify a technical, social, economic problem that currently exists and can be solved via an IoT solution
- Identify a solution to the problem that uses IoT and RFID
- Identify the steps needed to implement the solution
- Identify the RAIN RFID technology that will help provide the solution
- Identify the clear differentiators that sets your solution apart from others (why this solution vs others)
- Include a resource summary (personnel and equipment)
- Include a three-minute video presentation of the solution
- Preference will be given to multi-discipline/cross-functional teams (computer science/computer engineering, electrical engineering, engineering technology, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, etc.).
Solutions will be judged on the following:
- Uniqueness of the solution
- Significance/importance of technical, social or economic problem/issue being addressed
- Completeness of the solution (hardware/software integration level)
- Level of integration
- Clarity of submission
Submissions due by Feb 7
Finalists selected by Feb 14
Posters due by Apr 6
Final Mega-Challenge Champion will be selected at RFID Journal Live